It seems like summer came and went with the blink of an eye this year, but Fall is our favorite time of year and so we are enjoying the leaves turning color. That said, believe it or not folks....in Colorado it is almost ski season! Fall and winter weather clothing are starting to creep out of the closet and you may need to make a major overhaul on your closets.
Here are some recommendations for the sometimes dreaded seasonal switchover:
- If you have the space, separate your Fall/Winter & Spring/Summer wardrobes into 2 closets. This helps the switchover because you merely switch the locations of your items, or you can simply switch the location to which you source them from.
- If you don't have the space for 2 separate locations based on the season, we recommend setting up a floor to ceiling system that works for you. Spring/Summer items should be rotated up to the higher locations that you use less often, but are still accessible for you if you need to access them. Fall/Winter items should be rotated to your primary closet space so you can readily grab what you need.
- When you set up your new items, turn hanging items backwards. This way, as you go through the season, you can visually see what you are wearing, and what you are NOT wearing. This is key in helping you "purge" or "de-clutter" your closet from season to season.
- Use see through bins. Put that lids on the bin full of flip flops that you don't need until next season and stash them up high. Take down the bin of hats and scarves and put it in its place. By keeping everything transparent, it takes the stress out of the switchover process.
- Contact your local consignment store and see when they are accepting Fall/Winter items and get them in early! The earlier you get them in, the better chance you have of getting the most money back.
- If you are purging, my favorite thing to do is to reward myself. For any item coming in, there has to be at least one item that has gone out. That said folks, don't re-clutter your life! If you have too many clothes, perhaps for every 2-3 items out, you can reward yourself with one item in. Make the challenge fun and rewarding for yourself.